Building Emergency Liaison Responsibilities
- Coordinate and facilitate the development, communications, implementation and maintenance of the Building Emergency Evacuation Plan.
- Make the Building Emergency Evacuation Plan available for review.
- Work with department and project administrators to appoint the Building Advisory Committee.
- Serve on the Building Advisory Committee.
- Conduct and/or assist in evacuation drills.
- Assist in training and/or scheduling of training the building occupants in emergency procedures and evacuation responsibilities. A list of people needing assistance during an evacuation should be maintained by the Building Emergency Liaison.
- Upon request, assist in the development of personal action plans for persons with disabilities.
- Serve as a liaison with emergency responders (e.g., Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical, KU Office of Public Safety, Environment, Health and Safety, University Fire Marshal).
- Meet emergency personnel upon their arrival and convey specific information about hazards in the building, access, etc.
- Consult with the University Fire Marshal on Emergency Assembly Area site(s).
- Maintain communications with the Secondary and Tertiary Building Emergency Liaison’s on all matters related to the Building Emergency Evacuation Plan.
Building Advisory Committee Responsibilities
The Building Emergency Liaison, Secondary Building Emergency Liaison and Tertiary Building Emergency Liaison will work with department and project administrators to develop the Building Advisory Committee.
The Building Advisory Committee provides coordination between the departments and projects within the building. Primary duties include assisting the Building Emergency Liaison in the development, communication, implementation and maintenance of the Building Emergency Evacuation Plan. The Building Advisory Committee will review and update the plan annually or when changes occur.
The Building Advisory Committee membership includes one representative for each department and project housed in the building.